If steeping a cup of our Mountain High Chai and then adding in a bit of warm milk and some kind of sweetener is your idea of a delightfully comforting drink, we've got the treat for you.
These Chai Latte Cupcakes are like a twist on a traditional spice cake, using spices that are decidedly Indian in flavor. And how handy that you can just steep some sachets of our Mountain High Chai to get all of those spices in one shot — cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger. This recipe includes adding extra spices to make sure each cupcake is as spicy as possible. And don't forget, of course, that when you steep this sachet you're also adding the signature tannic nature of black tea, which forms the basis for the tea blend itself! (In fact, if you pair these cupcakes with any drink, it might be a glass of milk, since we don't want their delicious spiciness to overpower a great cuppa' tea.)
Chai Latte Cupcakes
- 1 cup milk
- 4 sachets Organic Mountain High Chai
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Vanilla frosting of your choosing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (174 degrees C). Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper baking cups
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until almost boiling. Remove from the heat and add the four tea sachets. Cover and let stand until the milk is cool. Squeeze the sachets into the milk and then discard them.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tea-flavored milk, yogurt, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and pepper.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and stir until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, diving evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool the pan set over a wire rack. When cooled arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter and frost with desired frosting. Our pick is vanilla frosting, because it's a lot like adding a good vanilla sugar to your chai latte!
- Enjoy! (And please tell us when you do — we wanna hear about it!)
P.S.: Makes 12 cupcakes. Enough to share!
Leave a Reply