(I have to admit, I laugh inwardly every time I walk by the "What-A-Melon" brand watermelons in the supermarket lately. It's a bad pun, yet I can dig it.)
We all have watermelon memories to go with summer right? I mean, nobody is standing around in December, wishing they could get a slice of watermelon with their glass of eggnog. Your enduring memories of watermelon may involve seed spitting contests, backyard barbecues, one of those sherbet-based ice cream cakes that was shaped like a watermelon, even "Dirty Dancing" and the hunk that was Patrick Swayze in high-waisted black pants and an unbuttoned white shirt ("I carried a watermelon").
All good stuff. So with that in mind, I'm hoping you'll consider getting out the blender for this drink that has all the juicy innocence of a summer's worth of watermelon in it, plus a dose of Organic Tamayokucha green tea and lime juice to brighten things up. As I've said before, I do think it's entirely worthwhile to experiment with alcohol in this drink. That's how you get from here to watermelon margaritas. And I know some of you were thinking about watermelons soaked in vodka when I mentioned all those memories, right?
Watermelon Green Iced Tea
- 4 cups seedless watermelon flesh, cubed
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 sachets of Organic Tamayokucha green tea from two leaves tea company
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sugar to taste
- Place the watermelon cubes in a blender or food processor, and blend until pureed. (If you would like this drink to be a little less pulpy and smoothie-like, you might consider using a strainer to completely rid the watermelon juice of any chunks.)
- In a heat-proof pitcher, add the green tea to the hot water and allow to steep for 5 minutes then disgard the sachets. Allow the tea to cool to room temperature before adding the watermelon puree, lime juice, and sugar.
- Serve immediately over ice.
- Pat yourself on the back. You just created a brand new watermelon memory for summer.
Did you try our last fruity iced tea recipe: Blueberry Mint Iced Tea? Which of these two recipes did you like better?
ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “What-a-melon Iced Green Tea”