I promise you: This recipe for a wonderfully fruity iced tea looks impressive, tastes like it took forever, and should charm a wide variety of your friends, but it's so simple and rewarding. Just look at that beautiful blue color and try to disagree with me.
And here's the kicker — you'll make this with green tea, which can be an unexpected twist in the realm of typical iced tea drinks, that may come slightly fruity, but are in general traditionally made with black tea. You've had 'em before, you know exactly what to expect. Not to mention, there's just enough mint in this class of iced tea to remind you of a great cocktail, like a mojito or a mint julep (and no, we have no problem with you adding the liquor of your choice to spice this one up.) So, get something unexpected and delightful:
Blueberry Mint Iced Tea
(makes about 10 cups)
- 4 cups blueberries (about 2 dry pints)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 cup roughly torn fresh mint
- 1 cup sugar, plus more to taste
- 4 sachets Organic Tamayokucha from two leaves and a bud tea company
- In a medium pot, combine the blueberries with 1 cup water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook the blueberries for 5 minutes, using a large spoon to mash up the berries. Stir in the lemon juice, mint, and sugar. Allow the mixture to simmer for another 1 to 2 minutes so the mint flavor infuses. Remove from the heat and strain the blueberry mixture through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding the solids. Set the blueberry syrup aside.
- In another small pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil, then turn off the heat. Steep the green tea sachets in the water for 5 to 10 minutes, then discard the tea sachets.
- Stir the blueberry syrup and the green tea together in a pitcher. Adjust the sweetness with more sugar if you’d like. Chill for at least 2 hours.
- Serve in individual glasses with plenty of ice. Garnish with mint sprigs.
- Consider pairing this drink with a splash of sparkling water, once it's really cold.
And let this next photo serve as a hint: More wonderful fruit-based iced teas coming right up!